Everyone can improve their skills at being persuasive. Whether it’s getting support for a new idea, getting that raise you deserve, or ensuring your influence as a decision maker, keep these ideas in mind:
* When they think about persuasion, most people emphasize their own experiences too much, rather than depending on data or techniques
* A small gift or favor will make you more persuasive. People will want to pay you back.
* The public believes in authority, so enlist higher-ups on your side.
* People want to be consistent and committed, so show how your proposal aligns with their values.
* Individuals want to be liked, so practice seeing the good in them.
* Fear paralyzes people, so use scare tactics only if you offer an antidote to fear.
* Admit your errors. Demonstrating honesty increases your influence.